Even before we waved goodbye to AOL Instant Messenger, people were asking which messaging service was best. Today, the debate still continues. WhatsApp vs Telegram. If you ask us, it all depends on what you’re looking for…
The comparison between these two apps has been neverending. It seems like the second Telegram existed, there were arguments over which was more secure or user-friendly or better looking.
In actuality, what it really comes down to is what you value personally and what suits your needs. To help you find the perfect messaging app for you, here are the details:
Pros of WhatsApp
- Pretty much everybody has WhatsApp(in fact, over 1.5 Billion), so you rarely have to worry who’s using iPhone and who is using Android.
- Status updates! Man, talk about a flashback to AOL. In WhatsApp, you can set your status to whatever you like. Including quoting song lyrics. ♫
- You can format text in WhatsApp. Just like with Slack, you can bold, quote, strike-through, and more.
- WhatsApp lets you back up your chats, so you never lose anything important. All you need to do is hit up Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and choose whichever option suits you.
Pros of Telegram
- Telegram was built on the concept of protecting its users’ privacy. Therefore, users are able to create secret chats with a self-destruct timer. Your name is now Bond, James Bond. 🍸
- Each secret chat uses end-to-end encryption, leaving absolutely no trace on Telegram’s services.
- Changing your phone number is so much easier on Telegram. Just go into Settings and hit the option that shows your phone number. When all is said and done, all of your data, media, and messages will be there on your new number.
- Telegram has bots – yeah, you heard us. Bots. With them, you can create custom tools and so much more. (Again, just like Slack!) 🤖
So what’s the answer to the WhatsApp vs Telegram debate? Well, it depends on what you value more. If you’re gunning for privacy, Telegram is your go-to. If you want ease-of-use and accessibility, go for WhatsApp.